The Baking Bible: Pumpkin Pecan Pie

I'm going to give myself an E for effort on this one. I didn't have the correct deep dish pie plate, in fact I couldn't even find my incorrect pie plate. So after long debate with my visitng mom I decided to use a cake pan. I suspected it wouldn't work and guess what? It didn't work.

The pie crust sunk down into the pecan layer, which gets baked first and is quite a thin layer. I pushed up the par-baked crust as best I could after the pecan layer was baked but I could only nudge it up an inch or so. So I poured in as much pumpkin layer as I could, but there was so much left over.

I didn't think much of the idea of putting a pumpkin pie layer on top of a pecan pie layer, but what I ended up with is really delicious. It would probably be even better with a thicker layer of pumpkin like it should have. I really like the cinnamon and ginger spices paired with the pecan pie. However this pie is crying out for bourbon! Next time. For now, a generous dollop of whipped cream will do.




Comments

  1. Bourbon! Good idea! I poured in a splodge of Kahlua. Did you bake the rest of the pumpkin filling? I couldn't fill mine up all the way either and baked it plain in a bain marie, then crumbled Speculoos cookies and whipped cream on it. Ordered a deep dish pie pan because this pie was a hit around here. Must have been having your mom visit. Bet she loved spending time with Elliot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts