The Baking Bible: Posh Pie

A chocolate-chocolate-chocolate cream pie, especially for those who love chocolate. I love how the lacquer glaze, imperfect as mine is, catches the orange of the pumpkin behind it.


I had the same problems with this Posh Pie as I did with the test bake. Let me count the ways:

1. This recipe has you make your own chocolate wafers for the cookie crust. The cookie dough is super sticky and difficult to work with. Here's my cookie "squares," just transferred to the cookie sheet and ready to bake. I took a photo, just because they look like such a mess.


2. Despite being a quite buttery mix of cookie crumbs and butter, the crust stuck unmercifully to my glass pie plate. We needed a deep dish plate and I panicked when I read that, as I couldn't find my deep dish pie plate for my failed Pumpkin Pecan Pie. So I dug around in the garage and found it! But alas, THE STICKING.

3. I over cooled the bavarian cream, so that when I and the cream were ready to move to the next step, the bavarian cream wasn't falling in ribbons, it was a big congealed puddle. I had to use a balloon whisk to incorporate the meringue and whipped cream in order to try and get the finished pie filling to be smooth. There were little lumps, but in the end I didn't notice any lumpiness.

4. Perhaps the over cooling led to the texture being a little less creamy and a bit like cream jello. That bummed me out as I really liked the flavor.

5. By the time the cookies were baked and crumbled and pressed into the pan and the cream made and the meringue and whipped cream folded in and the pie refrigerated overnight, I was DONE. Technically I had to make the lacquer glaze and then a chocolate whip cream but there was no way that was going to happen. Thankfully I had a little bit of lacquer glaze in the freezer, just barely enough to glaze the top of the pie. None left for the whipped cream, but I remember wanting a non-chocolate element when I made the test pie.


I like it but I don't love it. It's a yummy pie I just feel that it is a lot of work.

Comments

  1. Looks nice, though! Kudos to you for giving it a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. DONE! is something I say quite often, but I forget so quickly. For all the hassle with the sticking and the wrong textures and everything, your pie looks great. Mine stuck to the pie plate too. Still have half the pie left so Rick is bringing it to the office today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I had a terrible time getting the pie out of the pan because of the crust sticking to it. The first piece I cut ended up being a pile of chocolate slosh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I am glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't get the pie out! Schadenfreude. Thanks for commenting, ladies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts