Karmel Cake

This lovely caramel cake was a snap to prepare, and just as easy to eat. It had a lovely moist, soft crumb, with the caramelly flavors taking this cake further down the road of awesome than my beloved yellow butter cake. Served with the coffee cloud cream this is a welcome addition to my growing list of Cakes That Are Good For Breakfast.

Karmel Cake

April 3, 2011
Name of Cake: The return of breakfast cake!
Occasion: HCB
Constituents: one 9 inch layer cake made with caramel sauce

First up, make the caramel. This is an interesting caramel as it is made with light muscovado, milk, and butter that you mix up before you caramelize it. Usually the sugar is caramelized first then the milk and butter are added. Caramelizing the sugar along with the milk and butter seemed to take forever (longer than the ten minutes the recipe specifies) but the resulting product made it all worth it. This caramel sauce needs to cool down for an hour or so before the rest of the cake can be put together.

Karmel Cake

The rest of the cake is put together very quickly. The dry ingredients are whirred together in the mixer for 30 seconds, the butter and caramel sauce are added and beat for 90 seconds. The eggs are added in two parts, beating for 30 seconds in between. Then, the cake is baked for about 25 minutes.

Karmel Cake

I'm not sure what was going on with my oven or my cake strips yesterday, but the cake wasn't ready even at the 35 minute mark. The sides looked dry and the top crust was set, but underneath the middle was liquid cake goo. Worried, I turned down the oven to 325 and kept on baking. It took another 15 minutes before the middle looked like baked cake, instead of raw batter. I thought the cake was probably overbaked and depressing by this time, but after unmolding and cooling, I took a slice for photos, and obviously, tasting.

Karmel Cake

Delicious! The crumb was pretty near to perfect (some tunneling, sorry Woody). The cake was moist and tender, and tasted delicious. The coffee whipped cream accompaniment was a good mixer, although I wanted to eat the cake just as it was. Great cake: simple, quick, wonderfully satisfying.

Karmel Cake

Comments

  1. It was soo good... mine lasted no more than 24 hours after I took it out of the oven. It has been flagged in the book with MAKE AGAIN and AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!! Hmm..your caramel sauce is so smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm chuckling thinking about Raven saying "Oh snap!" I wish I had made the coffee cream after seeing your picture. Next time. Your cake looks lovely. Nice crumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute...there are cakes that AREN"T good for breakfast? :) This one looks darn tasty, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica, I totally understand your sentiment; I love quick and easy cakes!

    faithy, thanks! i loved that you tried to eat up all the crunchy bits.

    Vicki, I think your dulce de leche ice cream is maybe an even better accompaniment than the coffee cream!

    Amanda, that kind of sentiment warms my cakey little heart. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do i see the recipe ?? Sorry I'm new and this blog seems a lil more complicated than others when it comes to getting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria, thanks for coming to visit. This post was part of a bake-through for Rose's Heavenly Cakes by Rose Levy Beranbaum. As part of the bake-through we agreed not to publish the recipes. You can find the recipe in the previously mentioned book, or I'm sure somebody has published it by now and if you googled it you'd find it for free.

    Anyways, I don't like publishing other people's recipes. Any recipes I have published you can find by clicking on "recipe" in the tag cloud on the right hand side of the screen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts