Apple Cinnamon Crumb Cake

There is a version of this cake in The Cake Bible (called the Sour Cream Coffee Cake) and it is one of my favorites. I've tried the peach variation, and in one instance I paired the apple version (made partially with whole wheat flour) with strawberry ice cream which turned out to be wonderful. When I saw Rose had a similar version in Heavenly Cakes, I must admit I wasn't too interested in trying it out. But then Cookie picked it for Free Cake week, and here we are.

Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake

November 22, 2010
Name of Cake: Apple Cinnamon Crumb Cake
Occasion: Free Cake Week!
Constituents: a sour cream coffee cake with apples and cinnamon and a crumb topping

I have yet to meet a person who has not loved this cake.

Even when I take the cake out too early and the middle is a bit mushy and undercooked. They still love it!

I really should pull out TCB and RHC to compare recipes, but I think the main difference is that this one, from RHC, has you add the crumb topping towards the end of the bake so that it doesn't burn. In TCB, you tent the cake with foil after a certain point.

Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake
just look at that lovely thick batter!

Otherwise they are pretty much the same.

This cake is really cinnamony, in a good way, and the apples add a nice soft fruity layer. The cake itself is a lovely dense sour cream coffee cake that melts in your mouth with a wonderful full flavor of vanilla with a tang. There are some nice textures in this cake, from the dense cake crumb, the soft juicy apples, and the crunchy crumble. What's not to love?

Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake
see?  even though the center is undercooked, the cake was gobbled up and universally loved.

Comments

  1. Oh way, look at that crumble! Even for me that don't enjoy fruit in cakes, this looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious. Love the crumble!! No idea why I haven't made this because this recipe captured my attention the first time I browsed thru RHC at the bookstore. Maybe during the Jan free choice week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny that both you and Raymond chose this cake. I love this one also. Yours look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ב''ה

    Totally a worthwhile free choice cake! Mouth watering pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monica, you could do a variation that raymond suggested of hazelnuts and chocoalte ,and then no fruit! you really should try this cake, it is delicious.

    hanaa, it really is delicious, i hope you make it soon!

    jenn, it is nice to see someone else's version, i am glad we both made this cake this week.

    mendy, thank you! this was worthwhile, and definitely will be made again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is calling out my name too! So many to bake..looks wonderfully delicious here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this very cake 2 weeks ago for the first time! I couldn't get out of the house to purchase the required baking apples, so made do with Royal Gala variety apples, I did have. It was quite delicious, and could not imagine it better with a different apple variety.
    It was a very friendly cake with tea. The painter who was working at my house was delighted to be a 'first time I have made this cake' guinea pig.
    Merry Christmas sweet Evil Cake Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer,
    Great looking cake, as usual! I look at this cake and feel like piece with tea would be really nice about now.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose Levy Beranbaum23/12/10 13:49

    i have to tell you that i always underbaked this cake until i started taking its temperature with an instant read the way i do with bread. it's impossible to tell otherwise when its done in the center because the crumbs tend to clean off the skewer or testing toothpick. but i'm glad it's loved even when a little mushy in its center!

    sorry if this posted twice but it didn't seem to post the first try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts