Chocolate Mix-In-The-Pan Cake

Hi all. There was a moment last week where I wanted to bake things, but we only had THREE eggs left in the house. THREE EGGS! How was anybody supposed to eat breakfast AND have a cake for elevensies?


Of course there are more things to eat for breakfast than eggs, but they are so easy! Plus it is more comforting to be ALMOST out of eggs, rather than TOTALLY out of eggs.

So I decided to make a mix in the pan cake. Otherwise known as Wacky Cake, or Three Hole Cake. Searching for Wacky Cake gets a lot more recipes than Mix in the Pan or Three Hole, but the recipe I follow from Fannie Farmer is called Mix in the Pan.



This is a great pandemic recipe, so long as you have flour. I bet this would work out fine with a gluten free flour mix or combination as well. There are no eggs, there is no butter, no milk. It is vegan!

The nice part about this recipe is that it literally mixes up in the pan you are baking it in--usually a glass 8x8. The dirty dishes produced from this recipe are so minimal, and the steps required to get the cake in the oven so simple, that this is a cake that can be made on a moment's notice.



I prefer my Wacky cake uniced; I like it warm with a scoop of ice cream. It is a cake that would take to a simple frosting like American buttercream, or a similar fudgy frosting like the one for a Texas Sheet Pan cake. Or you could scatter some chocolate chips on the hot cake after it has fully baked, pop it back in the oven for a minute or two, then spread the soft chocolate out into a nice layer. I wouldn't go too fancy--a simple cake with a simple topping that doesn't require maximum effort is what this moment calls for.


So after the dry ingredients are sifted into your baking dish and mixed together, you make three holes. One hole gets vanilla extract, one gets cider vinegar (or white vinegar), and the last hole is filled with oil. Then you add a cup of water and mix it all up. Not too much--you don't want a rubbery cake.


The vinegar and baking soda start bubbling up immediately and as this is your rising agent, you want to hustle that cake batter into your preheated oven ASAP.

I wonder if you could pre-mix the wet ingredients and add them all at once to the dry stuff? You would need no more than a 2 cup measure; I wish I had thought of that! Has anyone tried it that way? Let me know!


30 minutes in the oven and you have cake!


Time for elevensies.

The cake is soft and spongy; maybe a caramel sauce would be yummy? Of course it would!

I just discovered King Arthur Flour has this recipe and calls it the Cake Pan Cake. Go bake it, friends.

Comments

  1. Yay, I'm so glad that you're back! I love your posts and this was a very fun read! No pressure to keep blogging if it isn't something you want to continue, but I'm enjoying your return for now :-). This is the perfect pandemic cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake is delicious! It was our go to back in high school!


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts