The Baking Bible: (Supposed to Be Gooseberry) Peach and Blackberry Crisp

This week's project is supposed to be a really yummy looking gooseberry crisp, however by the time I finally made it to the local farmer's market the gooseberry season was already over. So I made this crisp with the fruit I had on my counter: peaches and blackberries.

This is a fairly straightforward crisp recipe; I think the big deal here was Rose's treatment of the gooseberries to keep them from becoming too soupy. She does suggest alternate fruit fillings from some of the other pie recipes in the book so I took the suggestion to prepare the peaches as I did for the peach galette. This just meant macerating the sliced fruit for a while, then concentrating the juices to a thick syrup and adding back to the fruit. Once I placed the peaches in the dish I dotted the top with big Chester blackberries and added tiny bits of candied ginger (as I did in this Peach and Blackberry Pandowdy).

The crisp topping is a yummy mix of oats, flour muscovado sugar, and butter. There are instructions to make the topping in a food processor or a stand mixer, but I just used my hands. It didn't take long until the mixture had come together in clumpy crumbs. Next time, I will double the topping. I love crisp topping and there just wasn't enough.

The crisp baked up beautifully, and the blackberries stayed whole and juicy. We ate this one pretty fast as it makes a good dessert, breakfast, and snack. I can't wait to make it again.

pre-

post-

served
    

Comments

  1. Hi Jen--Wow--peaches! What an inspired combination with the blackberries! I can't wait to try it! Blackberries, raspberries and blueberries were what I had on hand. Your crisp looks delicious! Best baking to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I can cook with blackberries because I love them so much they always migrate directly into my mouth. :) But your crisp looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts