The Baking Bible: Cream Cheese Butter Cake

This is a fantastic cake. It is my favorite kind of cake: tender and light in texture with a dense crumb. Rose says it is similar to a pound cake, with butter and sour cream, with the addition of cream cheese. It works so well in Rose's pie crust that she thought it might be good in a cake. Bingo!


The frosting is actually the Pierre Herme lemon curd: where instead of cooking the butter with the lemon and eggs, the butter is left cold and emulsified into the mix afterwards. It results in a very creamy and thick lemon curd which Rose uses as a frosting. It is also delicious in a tart or on toast, by the way.


The recipe is supposed to use only a portion of the lemon cream to frost, but I used it all. Then I decided it overpowered the cake which makes me sad, because I could eat this cake plain all day long. And probably will, sometime in the future!


Comments

  1. Looks really good! just love this cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I too used up the whole curd..maybe because I made double recipe and made 1 recipe of the curd that's why.. lol! Ya, microwave is very fast and can take the curd to a 'drier' state I find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious to me! Absolutely agree with you that this cake is the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon curd on toast - my favourite! I thought I might try lemon zest in the cake next time to tie it more to the icing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for re-aquainting me with one of my fav cakes! we are expecting company one evening in august and this is what i will make! you did a lovely job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts