Tuesday, June 09, 2015

The Baking Bible: Brioche


This is really a most spectacular loaf of bread. All told, it is also fairly simple to do. It just takes awhile, but when there is a toddler loose in the kitchen, lots of steps that can be broken up over hours and days is perfect.

I first made brioche during the Heavenly Cakes bakethrough, and I'll link there if you are interested in the play-by-play of how brioche is made.


Mark felt it was the best version of brioche he's had. I think it is the best loaf I've made so far. I did fudge the baking a little bit. It's been really hot here so I didn't turn on the oven until 11pm. After 20 minutes the child woke up crying so I checked the loaf and the internal temperature was about 160&degF. The bread is supposed to be at 190&degF when fully baked. So I turned off the oven and left the brioche inside to keep on baking. Twenty minutes after that, the child back in bed, I ran downstairs and checked the bread. The internal temperature was now 187&degF so I called it good and pulled the bread, turned it out onto a cooling rack, and went to bed.

This was the first time I tried to shape the dough in the traditional way. I just kind of made it up and didn't get too upset that the knot slid. I hear that happens.



           

2 comments:

  1. Your bread dough looked easy to handle..mine was all melty and soft in the hot weather. Must have tasted great with strawberries..I should do that next time..and with ice-cream..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was actually a great way to finish the bake. Mine baked for the lesser amount of time and the internal temperature was hotter than it should have been. Your's has great color. I remember during HC that this sounded way to hard so I bought brioche for that recipe. Strawberries was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete