Baking Roundup

I tell ya, people. That Heavenly Cakes Bakethrough I participated in really killed my ability to bake AND blog. I am TRYING to get my mojo back, but as you might have noticed I'm not succeeding. I'm not beating myself up about it...but I do miss my weekly ritual of baking and blogging and reading your comments.

So I just found on my camera some photos of things I did actually bake over the summer, and that I really did intend on blogging over here but for some reason or another I never did. So let's do a quick photo-heavy roundup, shall we?

I think I mentioned in Joelf's bday post that I had extra biscuit lying around waiting to be used, right? Well here they are. I baked them in my toaster oven while Joelf's cake baked in the oven. I decided to use the biscuits to make a brown betty, based on recipes found in Rustic Fruit Desserts.

stone fruit brown betty


I took some peaches, cherries and apricots, macerated them in a little sugar, and poured them into a 9 inch deep dish pie plate.

stone fruit brown betty


I crumbled the biscuit over the top and added pats of butter.

stone fruit brown betty


I baked it.

stone fruit brown betty


And ate it with some whipped cream.

stone fruit brown betty


It was good, not awesome, and that is probably why I didn't blog about it. The biscuit, while having great crunchy texture, doesn't have much favor on it's own and that was a problem. I debated putting the biscuit on the bottom of the pie plate and the fruit on top, and I think there's something intriguing about that idea I might revisit next summer. If any of you want to experiment with that, please do comment and let me know how it went.

I also baked the Upside-Down Sweet Cherry Cake from Rustic Fruit Desserts and it was delicious! There's orange zest and cinnamon in the yellow cake batter that plays well with the sweet cherries. I think I baked it when friends came to visit; it was a darn good cake. I bought more cherries fully intending to make it again but it never happened. Sadly, I have one super lame pic of the cake: the cherries in a dark kitchen lined up in the pan, waiting to be covered with a thick luscious batter.

the only shot of an upside down cherry cake that was really delicious


I also baked Kate Coldrick's brownie/chocolate chip cookie cake thingy, and it was so super sweet. I also undercooked the brownie portion and wished in general I had stopped after making the chocolate chip cookie part.

choc chip cookie brownie pie


But it does look pretty, doesn't it.

choc chip cookie brownie pie


Well friends, that's it for now. I will try and be a better blogger as the holidays are coming and baking will probably happen more often now. Cross your fingers!

Comments

  1. I think most of the HCB experience what you and I did. I have been MIA as well, though now trying to catch up with some travel posts.

    I did bake bread over the weekend and took some photos. Will post this week :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you have lost the baking mojo! But I have missed reading about your baking. I like this omnibus edition!
    Those cherries are beautifully packed into that pan!
    29renwhe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn, your travel posts have been wonderful!! I know, we all seem to be slowly coming back to our blogs--I saw Marie has a new post on her bread blog!

    Melinda, have you tried the cherry cake yet? I highly recommend it. BTW I got your card yesterday! Thanks for the lovely note and yes, I want to visit you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, then! I look forward to it! (at the end of my last comment, I didn't notice that robot fob password had printed itself on my comment! Ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ECB. I too miss HCB. Gotta make more cakes. We're going into our summer so we can have BBQs and people over...just sayin' maybe more cakes. Also, I love the Rustic Fruit Desserts cookbook and thought those peaches in the photo looked A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Sorry it didn't taste super. We've loved the pandowdy (and not just cause of the name!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa, so you have the Pandowdy book too? (that's what it gets called in my house.) I love that book, especially for all the yummy summer fruit you're probably getting now or soon.

      Yes, more cakes! I always love coming over to your blog and seeing what crafty, bakey things you've been up to. Myself, I'm trying to knit a Horai scarf but I keep dropping stitches. Alas.

      Delete
  6. I can totally relate. The most I bake is Blueberry muffins when the little granddaughters spend the night as they have come to request them every single time. I felt so enthusiastic about Rose's Beta baking until being felled by family illness and drama. It's knocked me for sixes but I bought chocolate and super fine sugar today for that torte. Come hell or high water I'm making that torte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I hope everything is ok over with you. I've been wondering where you've been! Can't wait to see your torte!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts