Deep Chocolate Rosebuds Cupcakes

This week's Heavenly Cakes assignment is the simple and richly chocolatey Deep Chocolate Rosebuds Cupcakes. The original recipe uses a Nordicware Rosebud pan, which makes cute little rose-shaped cakes and hence the true name of this recipe. As you know by now I hate buying specialty pans so I used my silicone cupcake cups. A Deep Chocolate Rosebud by any other name would taste as decadent.

deep chocolate (rosebuds)
spilt open to reveal the gooey ganache center

September 1, 2011
Name of Cupcakes: Chocolate Puddlecakes
Occasion: HCB
Constituents: little chocolate butter cakes, with a slightly gooey ganache center

The batter for these cakes is a basic chocolate butter cake, with one exception. Rose usually uses water as the liquid for a chocolate cake, as she feels milk brings out a bitter edge. Usually the water is boiled and mixed with the cocoa powder to bloom the cocoa and makes a bit of a paste. In the case of this cake, a little extra water is mixed with the egg yolks and added in during the second stage of the two-stage mixing process. I suspect the reason for the extra liquid is to make the batter a little thinner, but maybe it is there just to make it easier to incorporate the egg yolks. I don't know; I'm just guessing here.

deep chocolate (rosebuds) deep chocolate (rosebuds)

What takes this recipe from a simple chocolate cupcake to a deep chocolate cake is the teaspoon of ganache that is dabbed onto each cupcake right before baking. This little puddle sinks down into the cupcake as the batter rises around it, and leaves a little gooey center of serious unadulterated chocolate. The cakes themselves are the tender, velvety cake one expects from a Rose butter cake. There is nothing I would change about these cakes, including how rustic they look popped out of my silicone cups. (I did forget to grease and flour the cups, but most of them unmolded ok.)

deep chocolate (rosebuds)

These puddlecakes need no accompaniment, especially if you like your chocolate rich and strong. Otherwise, a little dab of vanilla ice cream would be nice, especially if you are serving the cakes while they are still warm.

Marie made these two years ago before the group bake through commenced (before Roses' Heavenly Cakes was published!). She used the Nordicware Rosebud Pan, and called the cakes cute enough for people to coo over.

deep chocolate (rosebuds)

I suspect the Molten Lava Cakes would be quite similar to these, as both employ dabs of ganache to get a gooey center. My Lava Cakes were quite a failure, so I don't have a taste or texture memory to compare to, just the memory of trying to make the recipe work for me :) With the Lava Cakes there was quite a bit more ganache per cake. With these Puddlecakes being as delicious as they are, I'm inclined to try the Lava Cakes again.

Comments

  1. They turned out lovely! I could go for one right now with a latte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to indulge in some good-natured teasing (at your expense) about your refusal to buy this completely adorable rosebud pan, but I have to admit that the cupcakes look great and the ganache might be more noticeable in the cupcake than in the rosebud.
    All the same, I do kind of think you should buy that pan.
    Just don't ask me how often I've used mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, thank you! I could use one right now, too. (I made these last week.)

    Marie, of course now all I can think about is how many times you've used your pan??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"m with you on not buying specialty pans. The only ones I've ever gotten much use out of are financiers. Also, I think I will make this my new motto: everything tastes better with ganache!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I greased my silicon pans and yours turned out better than mine. The ganache went to the bottom and wanted to say in the pan. :(

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, everything does taste better with ganache! Well, maybe not steak...but everything else.

    Lois, oh so sorry to hear! I wonder why that happened?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Portable, chocolate cake, chocolate ganache...they sound just dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melinda, you've summed these up perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous13/9/11 00:43

    These puddlecakes look gorgeous in their shape and their texture and the ganache looks lovely and rich and just the right amount. I feel so sheepish though reading your restraint on the pan! I've loved this bake-along so much and I've loved finding any excuse to buy a new pan (sheesh). I'd feel better if knew how many times Marie had used her pan....I think its lots...lots...so many variations...rosebuds everywhere, in spring, in summer, in winter, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They looked awesome ECL. Even if some did not unmold perfectly, I know they taste superb.

    I also now want to know how often Marie used her pan, :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa, never feel sheepish for buying specialty pans! I'm just a cheapskate who's run out of room for keeping baking supplies (they are scattered about in three different places in my kitchen). The rosebud pan does make the cutest little cakes, and I can see how much fun they would be to use year round, like you said.

    Jenn, I know, Marie has started a firestorm of curiosity! thanks for liking the rustic appearance of my cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these!! They look chocolatey, moist and that ganache pertruding like that almost makes me lick my screen, ha ha. Things are a bit crazy right now but as soon as I get back to (real) baking, I'm making these!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts