FFwD: Marie-Helene's Apple Cake

So normally I post all the French Fridays with Dorie stuff on the other blog, but since we baked a cake this week, and this blog is all about the shiznit I bake, I'm cross posting. Enjoy!

Marie-Helene's Apple Cake is a cake which is as delicious as it is easy, which makes it a winner in every sense. Brimming with apples, buttery and custardy, not too sweet and perfect on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream, this cake would be prefect for tea as well as after dinner.

Marie-Helene's Apple Cake

Dorie encourages using a variety of apples; I chose a honeycrisp, fuji, gala, and I think an empire.

Marie-Helene's Apple Cake

These are peeled, cored, and cut into cubes. This was the hardest part of the recipe.

Butter is melted and cooled to room temperature. Flour, salt, and baking powder are mixed together and set aside. Two eggs are whisked, sugar is mixed in, the butter is alternated with the flour, and the apples folded in.

It looks a little concerning, as there are more apples than batter. But not to worry.

Marie-Helene's Apple Cake

Oh, did I mention that this cake has 3 tablespoons of dark rum? That was exciting. I used the rum in which I have been stashing my used vanilla bean pods.

Marie-Helene's Apple Cake

The cake bakes for almost an hour.

Marie-Helene's Apple Cake

Marie-Helene's Apple Cake

Marie-Helene's Apple Cake

I had some leftover heavy cream so I whipped that up with a little sugar and some more of that rum. I brought this to work, where I shared it with a couple of friends. It didn't even last 12 hours, we loved this cake so much!

And omigosh! How could I forget? Cookie and I met Dorie when she was in Portland last week promoting her book! She signed my books and was kind enough to let Cookie snap this photo of us. Look how fabulous Dorie is!

me and dorie greenspan!

Comments

  1. You're so lucky to meet her! Such a great photo! Ok..now you're the 3rd person who's in love with this cake and i really gotta try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    Your cake looks so good! I love apple cake and I've been baking a similar cake with nut and raisins and cranberries added in as well. I will look for this recipe and try Dorie Greenspan's as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm excited after reading about this cake and seeing the delicious looking photos! Cute picture with Dorie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cake ECL. I did get a little worried when there's more apples than batter, but I thought Dorie would know what she's doing :).
    Congrats on meeting Dorie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice cake! I love the closeup of the cake. It looks so yummy. That's really cool that you got to meet her. She was in Austin last week, but it was on my husband's birthday so I couldn't go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. faithy, you do need to try it! the recipe is on epicurious. i think you would love it.

    oriana, thanks! if you've been baking a similar cake you ought to try this one, too. super simple--you don't even need a mixer. just a couple of bowls and a whisk!

    vicki, i can't wait to see yours!

    jenn, thanks! i was worried, but i figured that if it came out wrong, it was so easy to make it wouldn't be a problem to try again!

    andrea, thanks! i hope your foot is recovering. you probably would have loved meeting dorie, but i guess that wouldn't have been your husband's best birthday ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have Dorie's new book! Blast it all! I will put it on my wish list for Christmas.
    This cake looks wonderful. Wish I had the recipe now, as it is apple wonderland here in Oxfordshire. We're up to the ying-yang in a bumper crop year of apples. The harsh winter has done them wonders!

    Lucky you to have met Dorie! I would like to meet her too. But... I want to meet her in Paris and make her take me out to her favourite Patisserie. It would be my treat! I bet she is good company. I do love her recipes so.
    Your cake looks so delicious. Love the golden hue. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you met Dorie! Great looking cake, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lucky you were to meet Dorie, and what a nice apple packed cake! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake looks great! I think it would be yummy with tea in the morning. I like that you used a variety of apples, fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melinda, aw man, I thought I replied to your post! The recipe is at Epicurious, so please do make it! I think meeting Dorie in Paris would be a wonderful adventure. She is as friendly in person as she is on the page.

    moowiesqrd, thanks! Meeting Dorie was great!

    Deeba, super lucky!

    Joelf, it was yummy with tea in the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Jennifer, I made this cake on Sunday. It turned out so nice. I didn't have the required rum so decided Ameretto might be a good substitute. It WAS very good. I must try it with the rum for comparison now. Lots and lots of apples to use up. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts