Thanksgiving 2007: GF Pumpkin Pies

I didn't have to make Thanksgiving dinner, nor did I have to contribute to the making of a Thanksgiving dinner other than ordering and paying for Chinese food, so I decided to bake four pies.

Yes, the I-Hate-Baking-Pies-Lady decided to bake FOUR pies.

Two were pumpkin.

November 22, 2007
Occasion: I'm not cooking Thanksgiving dinner
Name of pies: GF Pumpkin PIE
Constituents: GF pie crust with a layer of GF gingersnaps and pecans and pumpkin pie filling

These pies come straight out of RLB's Pie and Pastry Bible....so go get the book and read along, please :)

These pie crusts were really dry and crumbly when I was rolling them out and it didn't occur to me to add more water (duh!). However, GF crust always breaks when you roll it out and especially when you move the dough from your rolling surface to the pie plate. So having the dough never really come together wasn't too concerning to me--I just dumped the crumbly crust into the pie plate and pressed it into place. I worried that by doing so I was killing all the flaky layers of butter, but it was late in the night and I had two more pies to do after so my worries did not deter me.

And true, the crust wasn't as flaky, nor even as buttery, but it was still tender and nice. It held up well in the bake and didn't fall apart as each piece was cut. If I had to give it a grade, I'd give it a B.

Oh yeah--I also replaced some of the GF flour mix with 20 g sorghum flour, and forgot to add Xantham gum.

This time, the gingersnap-pecan crust that you press into the dough before pouring in the pumpkin mix wasn't very noticeable. No discernible crunch or flavor. Hmm.

The pumpkin pie part was pretty darn good. I doubled the cinnamon and added in cloves and cardamom which turned out well. The texture was smooth and creamy. Yum!

Comments

Popular Posts